If an employee wins their claim for discrimination they will be entitled to compensation. That compensation may include a payment for injury to feelings. A case called Vento v Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police set guidelines for how injury to feelings awards should be calculated. Cases will fall into three bands:
- the lower band is for less serious cases of discrimination including one-off or isolated acts
- the middle band is for serious cases which don’t merit a top band award
- the top band for the most serious cases of discrimination including lengthy campaigns
Back in 2002, when Vento was decided, the compensation guidelines for those bands looked neat - £500 to £5,000 for the bottom band, £5,000 to £15,000 for middle band and £15,000 to £25,000 for the top band. The value of those bands is adjusted each year to take account of inflation. From 6 April 2022, the Vento band compensation ranges are:
- Lower band - £990 to £9,900
- Middle band - £9,900 to £29,600
- Top band - £29,600 to £49,300
Only in the most exceptional cases will compensation exceed £49,300.
If you have a concern about any aspect of employment, we have a team of highly experienced and approachable employment solicitors who will assess your particular circumstances and provide you with clear practical advice on your rights and options. Speak to one of our team on 0808 164 1510, email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our online contact form.