For Individuals

To obtain a divorce or civil partnership dissolution, you will need to show that the marriage or civil partnership has irretrievably broken down. A divorce solicitor can help you with this and all of the issues you need to consider when getting divorced.

The process is relatively straightforward for most people and can be done online. However, difficulties can arise in resolving the practical issues related to a divorce, such as how to separate, where to live, the arrangements for any children and financial matters. It is, therefore, critical to understand your rights in divorce.

Our family lawyers at Clifton Ingram can advise you on all aspects of divorce and separation. We are a proactive and down-to-earth team of highly experienced solicitors, bringing a high quality and professional service to your local area.

For immediate advice, please contact our team or you can read our FAQs to learn more about the divorce process.

Why trust Clifton Ingram with your divorce?

  • One of the leading family departments in the Thames Valley and M3 Corridor
  • Ranked in respected client guide The Legal 500 for Family Law, recognising us as some of the best divorce solicitors in the region
  • All our lawyers are members of leading family law network Resolution
  • The specialisation, size and support to provide an effective legal service
  • Extensive experience with both straightforward and more complex matters
  • Commitment to obtaining a speedy and practical resolution to your problems
  • Keeping things cost-effective so assets are not swallowed up by legal fees
  • Strong expertise in constructive and non-confrontational ways of resolving family disputes
  • Ready to take immediate, firm action to protect your interests when needed
  • A service tailored to your needs

Our divorce law services include:

  • Support for divorce and civil partnership dissolution proceedings
  • Divorce financial settlements
  • Child law
  • Domestic abuse

Contact our divorce solicitors in Farnham, Reading, Wokingham

Our family lawyers at Clifton Ingram can advise you on all aspects of divorce and separation from offices in Farnham, Reading and Wokingham. We help clients from all over Berkshire, as well as Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Surrey and further afield.

Speak to one of our team today to see how we can help on 0118 978 0099 or using the contact form at the bottom of the page and we will respond quickly.

Learn more about the divorce process:

What are the grounds for getting a divorce in the UK?

There is only one ground for divorce in England and Wales – the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. Following the introduction of ‘no-fault’ divorce in April 2022, all that is needed to establish this is a ‘statement of irretrievable breakdown’ in the divorce application.

How do I apply for a divorce?

To start divorce proceedings, you need to complete an application form. You can either do this by yourself (a sole application) or with your spouse (a joint application). This form is usually completed online via the HMCTS portal, but you can request a paper copy if you prefer.

What happens in the divorce process?

Submitting the application

You have two options when applying for a divorce or dissolution: a sole application or a joint application with your partner.

It's recommended that you only choose a joint application if you're confident that you'll be able to work with your partner throughout the entire process. If you begin with a joint application, you can switch to a sole application later, but this can only be done after 20 weeks from the initial application.

If you decide to proceed with a sole application, you'll be referred to as the 'applicant' and your partner as the 'respondent'. On the other hand, if you choose a joint application, one of you will be referred to as 'applicant 1' and the other as 'applicant 2'.

If you're applicant 1, you'll initiate the application and pay the court fee. Your partner will have the opportunity to review the application before it's submitted, but you'll be responsible for collecting their share of the fee.

Serving the application

The court typically serves a copy of the divorce or dissolution application to your partner, which is also known as "serving papers". If the court serves the papers, they will send an email to your partner with a link to view them online. Additionally, a notification letter will be sent by post to both you and your partner.

If you have submitted a paper form or have not provided an email address for your partner, the court will send the papers by post.

If you have made a joint application with your partner, both of you will receive an email confirming that the court has received the application and outlining the next steps.

You'll only need to serve papers to your partner in certain situations, such as when your partner lives outside the UK, you've requested to serve the papers yourself or the court has attempted to serve the papers twice but has been unsuccessful.

It's important to serve the papers within 28 days of filing the divorce or dissolution application. If you're unsure about how to serve the papers, seek advice from one of our solicitors.

Responding to the application

If you’ve submitted a sole application, your partner must inform the court if they have received the divorce or dissolution application and state whether they agree or disagree with it. If they disagree, they must contest the divorce or dissolution. Your partner will receive instructions on how to respond via email or post and must reply within 14 days.

Your partner can only contest the divorce or dissolution for one of the following reasons:

  • The marriage or civil partnership was never valid
  • They believe that the marriage or civil partnership has already been dissolved through divorce or dissolution
  • They don't believe that the court has the authority to handle the divorce or dissolution, which is known as 'lack of jurisdiction'

Application for a Conditional Order

After 20 weeks from the date of your divorce or dissolution application, you can apply for a ‘Conditional Order’ which determines if your divorce or dissolution can proceed. This waiting period is in place to ensure that you and your partner have sufficient time to consider if you want to proceed.

You will receive notification via email or post from the court confirming when you are eligible to apply for the Conditional Order.

Application for a Final Order

You can request a ‘Final Order’ six weeks and one day after the Conditional Order has been granted, which will dissolve your marriage or civil partnership permanently.

The court will inform you of the date you can apply for the Final Order via email or post, which will vary depending on how you initially submitted your application for divorce or dissolution.

How long does divorce take?

It now takes a minimum of six months for a divorce to be concluded due to two mandatory wait periods during the process (before applying for the Conditional Order and the Final Order needed to secure a divorce).

Both parties have rights in a divorce, however, if there are problems resolving financial or children matters this may delay the conclusion of the divorce.

How much does divorce cost?

The cost of a divorce will depend on the circumstances of the case. To submit a divorce application, you will be charged a standard £593 court fee.

Our divorce fees

We offer various options to cover the cost of divorce, including fixed fee divorce packages where appropriate. During your initial consultation, our divorce specialists will discuss the various fee options available to you and provide a realistic estimate of costs upfront.

Contact our divorce solicitors in Farnham, Reading & Wokingham

Our experienced divorce solicitors work from offices in Farnham, Reading and Wokingham. We provide divorce advice for clients from all over Berkshire, as well as Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Surrey and further afield.

Speak to one of our divorce solicitors today by calling 0118 978 0099 or using the contact form at the bottom of the page and we will respond quickly.

Skip to content