Recognised for his corporate/commercial expertise by the Legal 500, Barry has extensive experience and regularly advises on business and share sales and acquisitions, management buy-outs and buy-ins, shareholder’s agreements, joint venture agreements, corporate structures and company restructuring. Barry’s clients range from entrepreneurs, SMEs and owner managed businesses to subsidiaries of overseas companies, institutional lenders, investors and large corporates.
Barry’s areas of expertise include:
- Merger, acquisitions and disposals – guiding buyers and sellers on share and business purchases/sales across a wide range of sectors and deal sizes.
- Management buy-outs and management buy-ins
- Demergers and reorganisations
- Joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements and investment agreements;
- Private equity
- Share buy backs
- Corporate Finance
- Business start ups
- Corporate governance
What others say:
“Clifton Ingram LLP Solicitors' practice is headed by Barry Niven, ‘who is developing a team of knowledgeable and responsive lawyers who seek to understand client needs and tailor their approach and advice to those requirements’. Solicitor Joel Molloy 'is easy and straightforward to deal with and responds efficiently and very effectively’, with Niven and Molloy ‘both offering a responsiveness you expect from a City law firm with the commercial understanding of how to apply their advice in practice to a range of situations’. The team undertakes a broad range of corporate and commercial work, including transaction management, bank security arrangements and work for professional practices such as chartered surveyors, IFAs and estate agents”. Legal 500 - 2018/19 Edition
"Has a ‘strong presence in the local market’, particularly among owner-managed businesses; adopts ‘a commercial approach on fees without compromising on service and quality’". Legal 500 – 2017 Edition
"Barry Niven is an ‘expert problem-solver with extensive knowledge’”. Legal 500 – 2016 Edition
"Barry Niven ‘provides clients with clear advice grounded in commerciality’” Legal 500 – 2015 Edition
''Barry Niven has a high quality reputation for providing excellent and consistently sound advice. He has excellent communication skills and attention to detail. I regularly instruct Barry and the rest of the team at Clifton Ingram and find them all very professional, capable and user friendly. I would have no hesitation in recommending Barry and the rest of the team to anyone who requires legal advice'' Legal 500 – 2014 Edition
Legal experience includes:
- Advising multiple shareholders on the disposal of the entire issued share capital of Europe’s leading supplier of warehouse labels and rack identification solutions in a deal valued at £9,000,000. Guiding the clients through the sale process from the initial stage of heads of agreement and non-disclosure agreements, through responding to due diligence requests, the sale and purchase agreement and other transaction documents including tax covenant, complex earn out provisions and the issue of secured loan notes to the successful completion of the deal. The transaction involved the sale and lease back of freehold property and advice was provided by our corporate, employment and commercial property teams.
- Advising shareholders of a company that designed, developed and supplied property sales, lettings and accounting property management software to estate agents and property managers on a share sale to a private equity backed purchaser in a deal in excess of £5m.
- Acting for seven individual shareholders on the disposal of a company specialising in the installation and maintenance of air conditioning systems for the commercial sector in and around London in a deal in excess of £5.2m. Structure of the deal involved the exit of three shareholders and the issue of consideration shares to the managing director of the target and the management buy-in by the management team of the target company.
- Advising the shareholders on the sale of the entire issued share capital of an international channel marketing company to US private equity backed purchaser in a deal in excess of $6.1m. Project managed the cross boarder transaction which covered three sperate legal jurisdictions and involved close co-operation between professional advisers within those locations.
- Acting for an estate agency and professional services company on its acquisition of a competing business for a consideration in excess of £5m. Advised from heads of agreements stage through due diligence and negotiation of acquisition documentation to completion.
- Acting for shareholders of a franchised car dealership with seven substantial dealerships in or around London on share sale in a transaction valued in excess of £5.5m. Undertaking pre-sale restructuring including sale of the target’s international and military vehicle business and a capital reduction demerger to transfer out high value long leasehold property from the target.
- Advising the majority shareholders of the UK’s largest independent manufacture and distributor of flue and chimney products and renewable fuel appliances (with a turnover in excess of £20m) on their exit via a management buy-out.
- Advising Hong Kong parent company of an international group of companies on the sale of its shareholding in a well-known UK subsidiary which specialised in the manufacture and distribution of domestic lifts through the UK.
Barry works from both Clifton Ingram’s Reading and Wokingham offices.