Clifton Ingram

Civil Partnerships

Should your relationship break down, our family lawyers can advise you on obtaining a dissolution of a civil partnership. As on divorce, you will need to come to a financial settlement which provides for both partners, any children and for the sharing of any property.

For dissolution to occur the couple must have remained within the civil partnership for at least one year. A petition must be filed setting out reasons why the partnership should end.

It is the responsibility of the filing partner to show proof that the civil partnership has suffered an irretrievable breakdown. The grounds for presenting a petition are similar to those for marriage breakdown:

  • The other partner’s unreasonable behaviour
  • Separation for a period of two years, with the other party’s consent
  • Separation for a period of five years
  • Desertion by the other partner for a minimum of two years

Main Contacts

Anne Deller
Partner, Family Law
anne deller

Partner, Family Law Anne has specialised in divorce and family law for nearly 20 years. She represents clients in complex children cases,... read more »

Contact Anne Deller:
Kate Grant
Partner, Family Law
Kate Grant

Partner, Family Law Kate has over 20 years experience in divorce law and specialises in a wide range of family law... read more »

Contact Kate Grant: