Reading Office: 0118 957 3425
Wokingham Office 0118 978 0099
Asian and Islamic Divorce
The Divorce team at Clifton Ingram LLP Solicitors are experienced in providing discrete and sensitive legal services to the Asian community and understand the religious and cultural considerations that need to be taken into account.
- Are experienced in Asian divorces
- Are Fluent in Punjabi and Urdu
- Can arrange interpreters/translations
- Consider the issues of the Dowry
- Understand the international elements
- Issues relating to children
- Forced marriages and nullity
Contact Rekha Joshi for more information on RekhaJoshi@cliftoningram.co.uk
Islamic marriages (known as Nikkah) are generally not recognised in the UK. If you have had an Islamic marriage in the UK but have not had a formal Civil ceremony in the UK then you do not need to obtain a divorce in the UK. If however you have had both a Nikkah and a Civil ceremony in the UK you will need to obtain a legally recognised divorce in the UK but this will not dissolve the Nikkah, to do this you will need to obtain a Talaq (Islamic divorce).
Ruby Tufail in our Family Department can advise on the complex issues arising from Talaq and Khullah (Islamic Divorce) and has contacts within the Sharia Council.
Our Divorce team can:
- Advise you on the Islamic Law as well as the UK law surrounding divorce
- Give you an assessment of your personal circumstances to help you decide the right course for you
- Liaise with the Shariah Council on your behalf
- International property issues
- Haq Mehr (Marital financial settlement) and wedding jewellery as part of the divorce settlement
- Family assets
- Drawing up or updating Islamic wills
Contact Ruby Tufail for more information at RubyTufail@cliftoningram.co.uk
Senior Associate, Family Law